The Elements and Purpose of MockupsSo you’re done with the tedious process of defining and creating the structure of your website in that design part called wireframing. The stockholders are quite impressed. Now, you’re on to the next step — the making of your mockup. What should your focus be in developing the mockup? What is there to deliver with your mockup?
PurposeIn design and manufacturing, a mockup is used for promotion, evaluation, and demonstration. If a mockup is used to test a design or a functionality of a system, it is called a prototype, which in web and app construction is the end stage of the design process. Mockups perform these functions:
- Provide a mid- to high-fidelity representation of the product
- Present the product’s basic functionalities
- Show the product’s visual details such as typography, colors, photos, icons, etc.
Difference From Other Design PhasesWhen constructing your website mockup and when deciding which mockup tool to use, bear in mind the following:
- The mockup stage is similar to the wireframe phase such that both are static, both deal with how the final product will appear, and both of them do not deal with functionality.
- A mockup is a sandbox for experimenting on visual elements. Mockups allow for the explorations of decisions made on visual designs. It is the transitional stage between wireframes and prototypes.
- You can use the mockup to provide stockholders a taste of the interactive functionality of the product. This is possible with the use of the best mockup tools that you can get for your project. There are tools that allow for the altering of some elements in the mockup stage to show sample interactions.
- The mockup can point you to the clashing visual elements of your design and help your organize visual details. Here, you can determine the necessary revisions that should be done on details such as contrast, colors, and visual hierarchy. These elements are then solidified at the development phase.
- As you go through the process of designing, the design will also go through several alterations in the hope of mimicking the final product. The mockup is especially helpful as it will not only allow you to change elements for this purpose, but will also allow you to immerse yourself from the user’s point of view.
- The mockup will let you test your visuals and make the necessary changes before they are committed to code. Needless to say, final product revisions are very costly and mockups are great for minimizing expenses.
- Learn little bit more about the Entire Wireframing UX process
- What Are Wireframes, Mockups, and Prototypes?
- Top things to know about Creating Mockups
- Why You Need A Simple Yet Dynamic Wireframing Tool
- 6 Easy Steps to Get You Started on Wireframing
Posted in Other | Tagged create mockups online free, interface mockup, interface prototyping, iphone mockup online, mobile app mockup tools, mobile app screen design tool, mockup site web, mockup software free download, online wireframe tool for mobile apps, simple wireframe tool, ui interface design tool, ui wireframe tools free, web application prototype, wireframe builder free, wireframe software free download